The conversion of a 1929 apartment building into a dormitory presented several challenges. It required maintaining and restoring the historic facade, creating an ADA-compliant lobby as the original could not be converted to meet code, and modifying the stair shaft to fit a new elevator.
Other renovations included cutting two stair towers into the building to comply with fire egress standards, replacing or reinforcing wood-framed doors and walls, and gutting and excavating the entire basement, which still housed the original coal deposit.
New bathrooms and kitchenettes were installed. Wood and terrazzo floors were refinished. Former living areas were partitioned into four-person suites with individual PTAC units, energy-efficient windows, built-in bookcases, and new lighting. Other amenities included laundry rooms for each floor, as well as a fitness room and communal kitchen.