All the states in USA are really rigid in regards to following road safety guidelines and it is quite hard to acquire a driving license in the New York City. Because of comfortable public transport it is convenient to stay without one, however possessing a license when you really have to drive is absolutely essential too.
The New York States' Vehicle & Traffic Law, besides basic road safety rules, features an extensive part that refers to Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) and charges and fines for its violation. So let's try and know how this specific section operates:
Driving While Intoxicated (DWI) is described as a serious crime in New York if one is caught under the influence of alcohol or drug when driving a vehicle. It could pull in numerous fines, charges, suspension of license, high vehicle insurance or even a imprisonment depending on the gravity of the criminal offense chiefly caused by these factors:
1. BAC content- blood alcohol concentration
2. Age factor- below or above 21 years
3. Your gender
4. If you are a commercial motorist
5. Consuming alcoholic beverages or drugs or both when driving
6. Rejection to allow BAC test
7. Charged under Zero Tolerance Law
BAC is a chemical test of blood, breath or urine which specifies volume of alcoholic drink in one’s body and stands valid if it is consumed within 02 hours of getting caught. The different amounts of BAC (0.08% for twenty one years and even above, 0.04 % for a professional driver, 0.02% for under twenty one years) holds you accountable for a penalty.
Next thing to know- What Penalties Are There For Driving While Intoxicated?
The charges differ as below depending on under which of above aspects you are found responsible:
1. Penalty of $500 - $1000, driving license suspended for a minimum of six months time and a maximum jail of 1 year for first time offenders.
2. Penalty of $1000 to $5000, driving license revoked for about 12 months and a maximum jail of 4 years for 2nd time offenders.
3. Fine of $2000 to $10000, driving license terminated for at least one year and a maximum imprisonment of 7 years for 3rd time offenders.
Extra surcharges are even imposed besides above penalty and if an offence occurs above 3 times in a ten year span, the driver’s permit is going to be permanently revoked. Sometimes a person must enroll in the New York Drinking Driving sessions and therefore an extra fee of the course charges.
Selecting services of a qualified attorney
In case caught up in any of the above allegations , it is much better not to plead and instead hire a professional attorney experienced with New York state driving regulations and a track record of success in such cases. Only then one can survive possibilities of an imprisonment, penalty or license suspension. An experienced legal representative could possibly question the certainty of the BAC test or help you get a provisional license with nominal fines. For a professional assistance you can get in touch with the right New York Law Attorney- Friedman & Ranzenhofer Attorneys At Law.