By Arun Shivaramakrishnan
A small number of basic human psychology facts, tips and important things are given. These facts will help anyone to study psychology in greater depth and understand the vastness of the subject.
1. Human psychology looks to describe, elucidate, envisage, amend and improve behaviors.
The 4 main objectives of human psychology are:
To portray human behavior and thought.
To explain and give details how, why, where and when these behaviors occur.
To predict how, why, where and when these behaviors will reoccur in the future.
To modify, amend and improve behaviors to better the lives of individuals and the society as a whole.
2. Human psychology has many subfields. There are various branches of human psychology. Some of the major sub fields within human psychology are developmental psychology, industrial/organizational psychology, clinical psychology, social psychology, counseling psychology, cognitive psychology, and personality psychology.
3. Psychology is all around us.
Unlike other academic subjects, Psychology doesnt exist only in classroom, mental health offices and research labs. The principles of human psychology are visible all around us in day to day circumstances. The print media, the electronic media and even the internet world heavily depends on human psychology to innovate and develop marketing messages that influence, sways, manipulates and persuade people to purchase the advertised products.
4. Human psychology is the scientific study of human mind, their actions, behavior and mental processes.
Human psychology is the scientific study of human mind, their actions, behavior and mental processes. The term psychology comes from psyche a Greek word which means "breath, spirit, soul" and logia which means "study of." Human psychology surfaced from biology and philosophy and is strongly related to other disciplines including linguistics, sociology, medicine, and anthropology.
5. Human psychology makes use of scientific methods.
Human psychology relies on scientific methods to examine questions, frame postulates, conduct experiments, verify the empirical data and arrive at conclusions. Psychologists use a range of techniques to study the human mind, actions, mental processes and behavior, including experiments, case studies, naturalistic observation, and questionnaires.
6. Human psychology studies both normal and abnormal behavior.
The general myth about human psychology is that it concerns itself exclusively with the diagnosis and treatment of abnormal behavior. Nonetheless, it is important to remember that psychology studies normal behavior as well.
7. Psychologists take many different perspectives.
Any given instance will be looked upon by the psychologists in many perspectives. Some of the major perspectives in human psychology include the evolutionary perspective, humanistic perspective, cognitive perspective, behavioral perspective, biological perspective, etc.
8. Psychology is not just about therapy.
Therapy is certainly a big part of psychology; but it is not the only thing that psychologists do. Human psychology covers other areas including teaching, research and consulting. Psychologists work in a wide variety of settings which includes
Colleges and universities
9. Psychology offers a wide range of career options.
There are vivid career paths to choose from in this field of study. It depends on an individuals educational level and work experience. Some of the few possible options include health psychology, forensic psychology, clinical psychology and industrial-organizational psychology.
10. Psychology explores both real-world and theoretical issues.
Psychology is an applied and theoretical subject. Basic research includes adding information to the already existing pool of knowledge about the human mind and behavior, while applied research focuses directly on solving problems and applying psychological problems to real-world situations.
Arun Shivaramakrishnan was born in Mumbai, India, on 14 Septmeber, 1991. I am currently doing my graduation in Psychology from the University of Mumbai, India. I currently live in Thane, India. I felt the immense need to share such valuable insights with all concerning the subject.