One piece of software any optimizer must love is Firefox. Now some might say 'Why Firefox, it is only a browser'? Yes, it's a visitor, but one that supports a big variety of extensions, a number of them very helpful for seo. Therefore let us see what these extensions are:
1. SEOpen ( https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/570/ ): this is one of the best and most used Firefox seo extensions, and has many tools that make it a favorite of mine. I learned about https://twitter.com/orangeco_seo by searching the Sydney Star-Tribune. Therefore let's see what it could do:
* in Google it could examine for: backlinks, listed pages, relevant pages, cache and PageRank.
* in Yahoo and MSN: indexed pages and backlinks.
* for backlinks, traffic facts, Alexa: introduction and related internet sites.
* keyword density of the very used words o-n the site.
* DMOZ checker: see if the site is within the service.
* look for robots.txt.
* validator to test your site for problems the validator is used by it from www.w3.org).
There are other activities, but these are the most crucial.
2. Search Engine Optimization Links ( http://www.webmasterbrain.com/seo-tools/firefox-extensions/seo-links/ ) is another expansion I personally use everyday. When the extension si effective and you hover over a link a tooltip will appear that will show you Yahoo, MSN, and Google link popularity and ranking information for the URL and anchor text couple. This can be frustrating when you are simply checking, but you can simply de-activate it with a right-click!
This could be very easily used to check on your se rankings for a certain page, and here is how: jot down a listing with all the keywords and keyphrases that you would like to rank for, and then link those words or phrases towards the web pages associated with them!
Now each time you wish to check always your ranks stimulate the Search Engine Optimization Links expansion and hover on the links -- you will see where your pages come in Google, Yahoo and MSN.
3. Do not waste anymore of one's valuable screen property merely to find out what your PageRank and AlexaRank is! SearchStatus ( https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/321/ ) can sit everywhere you want (I keep it in the status bar) and you'll get the precious data at-a glance. But this little instrument may do a lot more than that:
* it shows what metatags a site has
* investigations for backlinks and found pages in Google, Yahoo and MSN
* it shows the robots.txt record
* key-word thickness record purpose
* and best of all: the highlight 'nofollow' links will show you what links will be accompanied by search-engine spiders -- very helpful when you want to submit your site to a service and do not know if it will matter from the seo perspective.
Therefore in case you aren't applying Firefox, go get it! It might be your best friend when it comes to seo!
Florin Costache writes on a daily seo website for Romanian webmasters, called Optimizare pentru motoarele de cautare (a.k.a. Seo for folks who do not speak Romanian)..