LIFE SUPPORT MACHINE IS UNPLUGGED BY CLEANER.

HOSPITAL bosses have launched an inquiry after a cleaner mistakenlyunplugged a life support machine, killing two patients, while shepolished the floor.

Doctors and nurses at Pelonomi Hospital in Cape Town, South Africa, were baffled when two patients died on consecutive Friday mornings in the same bed.

Checks revealed no bacterial infection, virus or problems with the air conditioning - but interviews with staff revealed the shocking truth.

Each Friday a cleaning lady would go onto the ward and plug her floor polisher into a socket by the bed.

When finished, she would unplug the cleaning machine and replace the plug that was originally in the socket - and which was connected to life support equipment.

A hospital spokesman told the Cape Times: 'We are looking into this matter and we have sent a strong letter to the cleaner in question.

'The Free State Health and Welfare Department is arranging for an electrician to fit an extra socket so there should be no repetition of this incident.'

COPYRIGHT 2003 Birmingham Post & Mail Ltd

No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.

Copyright 2003 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.