Beyoglu and Istiklal Street

Beyoglu and Istiklal Street

On the same road and on its side avenues there are a few houses of worship, for example, St. Antoine and Santa Maria, Armenian Churches, Synagogues, old mosques, Pera Palace Hotel inherent 1892 by George Nagelmackers, scholastic and social foundations secured by different European countries, for example, Germany, Italy, Austria, and France in the mid nineteenth century, departments of a few countries including Germany, France, Greece, Sweden, Armenia, Russia, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, and United Kingdom, amongst which the British and German offices being the most great structures in the range.

To the end of pedestrian road towards Galata, there is Tunnel, the world's second-most established metro, interfacing Pera area with Karaköy region on the Golden Horn. Just before Tunnel you can visit Divan Literature Museum which is called as Galata Mevlevihane having a place with Mevlevi request established by Mevlana, where Whirling Dervish ceremonies are performed twice a month.

Old Galata and Pera neighborhoods were occupied during the Byzantine Empire. Among the nineteenth century Ottoman Empire, the road was known as Grande Rue de Pera and the region turned into a center for outsiders, Levantines, Ottoman educated people and western society admirers. After 1923 the road's name was changed to Istiklal (Independence in Turkish) to celebrate the War of Independence lead by Atatürk.