The Bulgarian Church
This congregation fits in with the Bulgarian minority and is the most intriguing church in Istanbul. The Bulgarian minority of the Ottoman Empire used to beg at the holy places of the Fener Orthodox Patriarchy. Because of the nationalistic developments, Bulgarians were permitted to assemble their own congregation in the nineteenth century. Initial, a little wooden church was based on the shore of the Golden Horn in the middle of Balat and Fener squares (close Eyup area) where the current church is spotted, however later this was created into a bigger building. An iron casing was liked to cement fortification because of the frail ground conditions.
The development arrangements were arranged by Hovsep Aznavur, an Armenian of Istanbul inception. A global rivalry was directed to deliver the pre-assembled parts of the congregation. An Austrian firm, R. Ph. Wagner, won the opposition. The pre-assembled parts were delivered in Vienna and transported to Istanbul by boat through the Danube and the Black Sea. Following one and a half years work, it was finished in 1898. The fundamental skeleton of the congregation was made of steel and secured by metal sheets. All the pieces were appended together with nuts, fasteners, bolts or welding. The engineering styles originate from the Neo-Gothic and Neo-Baroque periods.