Oil and Gas Engineering
Preparing for the task
As a rule, oil and gas engineers have bachelors degrees in relevant areas-such as chemical engineering, mechanical engineering, and civil engineering and people with graduate-level qualifications often earn a higher salary. The marketplace is fairly competitive, and other training should give you a definite advantage. Today, international corporations often provide these programs, which assure participants of any substantial income and also the let them have the practical experience they require too.
Anyone choosing this career should:
- approach engineering projects scientifically
- be ready to show initiative and be responsible
- develop problem-solving skills
- anticipate to assume the role of team leader
- experience an capacity to explain concepts and wants to others
- be enthusiastic about advances in technology
What are the work entails
These engineers become involved at various stages at the same time of extracting gas and oil from reservoirs, and also if they give full attention to an area, they should be aware every stage, whatever the circumstances. Their various responsibilities include:
- Calculating and formulating plans that highlight locations in which the most gas and oil has been discovered
- Monitoring more than one wells
- Making certain that no health or safety regulations have been violated
- Determining if drilling operations are now being conducted in the accurate and efficient manner
A reservoir engineer calculates the amount of gas and oil that can be extracted from rock, decides where drilling should be done, and monitors and adapts production plans while a specific reservoir is set in use. Also, a drilling engineer plans and fosters programs for drilling, selects the apparatus to be utilized, oversees the project, analyzes drilling performance, and monitors safety while drilling takes place.
In which the industry stands today
Although oil and gas engineers rely heavily on their scientific and mathematical knowledge in performing a particular task, also, they are expected to get an overall view of every project they work towards, as well as times they assume the role of supervisor or manager as a way to make this happen. These professionals come from a variety of backgrounds and cultures, and both women and men have found oil and gas engineering to become a rewarding career.
Since the sector is more and more diversified, many new positions for engineers are opening up, especially in developing countries, and societies as different as the ones from China and Australia. There exists a global requirement for cleaner fuels, and engineers will work to produce a new product that are eco-friendly as modern technology advances.