WHY Powder Metal?
From the Metal Powder Industry Federation (MPIF):
The PM process provides a host of advantages over competing metalworking technologies. These all add up to cost effectiveness, shape and material flexibility, application versatility, and part-to-part uniformity for improved product quality.
Advantages of the PM Process
- Eliminates or minimizes machining by producing parts at, or close to, final dimensions
- Eliminates or minimizes scrap losses by typically using more than 97% of the starting raw material in the finished part
- Permits a wide variety of alloy systems
- Produces good surface finish
- Provides materials which may be heat treated for increased strength or increased wear resistance
- Provides controlled porosity for self lubrication or filtration
- Facilitates manufacture of complex or unique shapes which would be impractical or impossible with other metalworking processes
- Is suited to moderate- to high-volume component production requirements
- Offers long-term performance reliability in critical applications
- Is cost effective