What to consider when looking for a house to rent in Carson City, Minden or Dayton

Here are just a few items to consider in your search for a house to rent.

Can you afford it? Renting a house comes with more expenses than renting an apartment. Things like water, garbage disposal and lawn maintenance might not be covered in your rental agreement. When you’re putting your budget together for your new house rental, be sure to factor in everything.


Find out how rent increases work. Are they built in automatically or subject to negotiation? As housing prices increase in Carson City, Minden and Dayton, there’s a good chance rents will go up as well. Can you lock in a lower rate by committing to stay longer?


What’s the out clause? Say you commit to a year, but then decide you need to leave after six months. What will that change in circumstances cost you? How much notice are you (and the landlord) required to give?


Location, location, location. How close is the rental house to your children’s school? Is it in a safe neighborhood? Is it near a loud business? Be sure to consider all the factors that are important to you before you commit.


Does the home for rent allow pets? Make sure your new landlord is okay with Fido before you sign the lease and find out he can’t come with you.  And don’t try to sneak in your pet. This is one of the fastest ways to breach an agreement and lose your security deposit.


Laundry, dishes, cooking and whatnot. Check out the appliances. Are they in good working order? Are they clean? What’s the policy if something breaks?


Budget for renter’s insurance. The homeowner’s insurance policy will not cover the loss of your personal items. While you might not think you have many things of value, consider your electronics. Or your clothes. How much would it cost to replace them in the case of a fire or a flood? A renter’s insurance policy typically costs less than $30 a month – a bargain in the event of a disaster. 


Get everything in writing. Things change and memories fail. Make sure both parties are on the same page and then write it down so you can avoid disagreements down the road.


Do you need help paying rent? There are a number of programs designed to help low-income families, the elderly, disabled and veterans in Nevada. The Housing Choice Voucher program (also known as Section 8) offers monthly Rental Assistance, for those who qualify to live in privately owned rentals. The Nevada Rural Housing Authority can also help you find many reasonably priced Homes For Rent in Carson City, Minden, Dayton, Elko and throughout rural Nevada.


Your home is your castle. Choose wisely and you can live there happily with your family for years to come.