Five defining moments from a decade of sport
As your decade draws to a close, we pick five sporting moments which have defined the last 10 years.
1. Cathy Freeman lit the actual Olympic flame at the 2000 Sydney Olympics, a new Video Games set inside a country which usually embraces the actual outdoor lifestyle and punches well above its excess weight within the majority of sports.
Aboriginal Freeman, which had suffered racial prejudice like a child, symbolised the optimism of the new start in a new century for a bustling immigrant nation. The Girl proceeded to surmount suffocating pressure through winning the 400 metres gold, Australias just monitor gold.
2. The tattered U.S. flag, rescued in the rubble in the Globe Trade Centre which usually ended up destroyed in the attacks on the Usa inside the prior year, ended up being carried into the stadium through the opening ceremony for that 2002 Salt Lake Town Winter Olympics.
There had been severe doubts the Video Games as well as the subsequent Globe Cup within girls swimwear Japan and South Korea would go head after the events involving 9/11. Throughout the finish both took place with out incident albeit in enormous security costs.
3. Zinedine Zidane, the particular supreme soccer player of his generation as well as scorer involving two headers throughout Frances 1998 Globe Cup final acquire more than Brazil, emerged via international retirement to help consider his team towards the 2006 final against Italy.
Zidane converted a new penalty via the crossbar nevertheless in a moment associated with madness head-butted Italian defender Marco Materazzi. Poised to join Pele because the greatest player to end up being able to grace the world stage, Zidane had been instead sent off along with Italy won in penalties.
4. Within 2006, Olympic one hundred metres champion Justin Gatlin and also Tour de France winner Floyd Landis had been banned inside times of the additional person right after screening positive pertaining to excessive amount male sex hormone testosterone.
The Americans twin disgrace further darkened your ominous clouds over athletics as well as cycling along with left lots a lot more people than ever before asking yourself if it had been achievable to become successful while remaining clean in sports specialized in speed, endurance or strength.
5. Sport sometimes throws up teams and also athletes which possess not just transcendent skills but additionally the slix australia capacity to inspire his or her rivals for you to new heights. Rafael Nadal and also Roger Federer gave 1 such instance inside the 2008 Wimbledon tennis final. the pair fought each other to some standstill throughout five unforgettable
sets along with Nadal finally prevailing inside near darkness.
For any longer look back with a decade regarding sport (and yes Usain Bolt and Tiger Woods tend to be included) please click here.
PHOTO: Rafael Nadal involving Spain (R) is embraced by simply Roger Federer of Switzerland after defeating him within the final at the Wimbledon tennis championships in London July 6, 2008. REUTERS/Pool