Mobility And Security Part 1 Ssl Based Vpn S
Exactly what does SSL and VPN mean?
SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) is a process developed by Netscape to secure data transmission between a customer and a server. It had been soon used by famous brands Microsoft WEB BROWSER and other leading web browsers, providing a secure means to transact data in an encrypted format over the web, most seen with e-commerce sites taking credit card payments for purchases commonly.
A VPN (Virtual Private Network) is an exclusive communications network usually used within an organization or by several companies which have a need to talk about information more than a community network. VPN traffic is carried online using standard (often insecure) protocols.
What's the fuss with SSL VPN’s?
SSL VPN technology 's been around for quite some time, but only in the past season has the market exploded with low priced purpose built devices literally. Famous brands Juniper, Nortel and today even Cisco have developed these low priced SSL structured VPN solutions for various business types including SMEs.
SSL VPNs just work at the application layer. Unlike IPSEC VPNs they are much less complicated to setup, maintain and support. As they work with most modern browsers no software must be configured and they're not limited to a specific computer. Also, as virtually all corporate and business networks internationally, including people that have stringent firewall procedures, permit website traffic like the SSL port, SSL VPNs being employed by mobile workers are almost assured to work atlanta divorce attorneys environment. That is one of the downfalls of the more common IPSEC VPN technology which struggles over NAT conditions. One other benefit with SSL VPNs could it be gives the administrator per-user gain access to control to a totally specified set of applications.
Overview of Benefits:
1. Low Total cost of ownership
2. End point Security in differing conditions (e.g. if no Antivirus on mobile machine, only permit extranet access)
3. Clientless (browser SSL VPN gain access to for distributed folders, applications & extranet resources)
4. On demand customer for full network layer access
5. Helps secure slim client gain access to in the general public website (Citrix, terminal services published on the net)
6. Per-user or per-group application list control
What must i do next?
1. Understand your company’s goals and what you want to achieve from your VPN solution
2. Consider what applications and services you intend to provide over your VPN solutions and understand the VPN options available to you.
3. Understand the service and security requirements of your VPN Solution and determine which VPN products provide these
4. Consider if you should be applying additional security safeguards to help expand protect your VPN solution
SSL based VPN solutions are actually very affordable plus they ensure mobile workers can access crucial company information from nearly every device anywhere in the world. They ease simplicity and availability when implemented in a planned and considered manner and they help to achieve a trouble free environment for remotely accessing important data.
SSI’s mobile and security specialists can be found to provide mobile and security solutions for companies of all sizes covering consultancy, planning, deployment, user and support training.