Why Are Pomeranians Celebrity Dogs? by Camille Goldin
What do Sharon Osbourne, Keanu Reeves, Nicole Ritchie, Paris Hiltion, Jessica Alba, and Hilary Duff all have in common? They are just a few of the more well known Pomeranian owners!
You can see photos of these celebrities and others with their Pomeranians out for walks, being carried, and even as part of reality shows (like when Sharon Osbourne donate and her family showcased their lives in reality television). Why does it seem like Pomeranians are sprouting up all over Hollywood?
The reality is that celebrities want Pomeranians in their lives for much the same reasons that everyone does too:
1. They are cute! Who can resist the little fox-faced dog with the poofy coat? They are like living, breathing teddy bears.
2. They are big dogs in small bodies. Just because they are small doesn't mean they know that! This means you get a small dog with a bigger attitude who is outgoing, comical, and playful.
3. Their size is a plus for on the go people. Celebrities that have busy lifestyles but want a pooch to travel with find that the Pomeranian's size is perfect for traveling. The Pomeranian is a toy dog breed, and unless oversized, doesn't weigh more than 10 pounds. They can be easily carried in small dog bags anywhere. A big plus is that a Pomeranian can travel with you in the plane rather than having to ride in cargo like larger dogs. For frequent flyers, this is a huge bonus!
4. They love their person! Pomeranians love to sit in your lap, play with you, and spend time with you. This makes them quite loyal to their person, and while this is a nice reason for anyone to want one, for a celebrity that is constantly being followed and bothered, a pooch that loyal is a nice bonus.
5. They are easy to take care. Their grooming needs can be easily met at home by a dedicated owner.
6. They are more dependent on their owner than other dogs. Because of its size and needs, many Pomeranians, especially teacup sized ones, are more dependent on their owners for their needs. They need help getting up and off of furniture; they have more specific dietary needs; they need more frequent potty walks. What this means is that the dependency creates a child-parent-like relationship, which is very rewarding if someone wants or needs to care for something.
7. Celebrities love to dress up their little dogs. There are a ton of decorative clothes and accessories for small Pomeranians, and for celebrities with free spending money, the sky is the limit. There are hand knit sweaters and jeweled collars and accessories among other high-end items.
8. Did I mention how cute they are? This is probably the number one reason Pomeranians are so popular!
Even though many celebrities own Pomeranians and they are very popular, it doesn't mean they are the right breed for everyone. Always do your research first and make sure the Pomeranian matches your wants, needs, and lifestyle.