Things To Know When Buying Wheelchairs In Philadelphia And Montgomery County
When shopping for a wheelchair one should not make a decision only based on the price of the wheelchair. This is because there are many other things that should be considered. Wheelchairs can be of various types such as manual wheelchairs, powered wheelchairs and electric wheelchairs.
A rightly chosen wheelchair can vastly improve the quality of life of an individual. Usually a disabled person or an individual with a specific health condition that affects walking hires or buys a wheelchair to carry out with the normal day to day activities.
- As the name suggest, this type of wheelchair needs to be driven manually and are usually appropriate for individuals who:
- Can walk but with the help of a frame or walking stick but are not able to deal with large distances. In order to cover the longer distances, wheelchair is perhaps the best option
Need a wheelchair for most of the time of the day for mobility within indoor as well as outdoor areas
However, when investing on a manual wheelchair, one must keep in mind that enough strength and flexibility in arms are required to use this kind of a wheelchair. Most of these wheelchairs now days come with push-handles in case extra help are needed.
Powered and Electric Wheelchair
This type of wheelchair is ideal for those who do not have the strength to use a manual wheelchair or does not want someone else to push the chair. Powered and electric wheelchair is further classified into several categories such as:
- Outdoor: They usually include large wheels for dealing with bumpy ground, as well as deferment to make the driving experience more comfortable.
- Indoor: The indoor version of powered and electric wheelchair can be used within the home or places that have even flooring. Moreover, they are easy to carry and can be folded when not in use.
- Indoor/Outdoor: This type of powered and electric wheelchair can be used for both inside and outside purposes; however, they are not that easy to carry and may not have large wheels but have a good balance of both the above mentioned categories.
Nowadays, manufacturers of wheelchairs and cpap machines in Philadelphia tend to be more flexible when it comes to customizing their products. Some of the things one can often choose to adjust include the following:
- Seats usually come in varied sizes and may not be apt for a child or an elderly adult. Thus, one can opt for further cushioning or support to get more postural support.
- Wheelchair manufacturers now days come with adjustable armrests and footplates to enable a comfortable seating position.
- Waterproof wheelchairs are also available in the market that offers protection to the users in case of rain.
These are some of the important points that one must consider when planning to buy wheelchair.