The narrow covered streets, with their unforeseen dead ends, weaves, actions, deadlights, corbels and balconies recommend that the only idea in the minds of the people who set out this town was defense against an opponent attack or pirate raid. In reality, there is no strategy behind the design of the town. Not that this is any bad thing, since in this method a settlement has evolved, at no point in which is the view of the sea - or its odor - obstructed.
Hora is jam-packed full of churches. In the Orthodox Cathedral there are some great icons dating from the years of Turkish guideline and a Gospel Book which, according to tradition, was a gift from Catherine the Great of Russia.
The Cathedral was developed on the site of a little church (Zoodochos Pigi' the Life-giving Source, i.e. the Virgin Mary) and took its present type in 1780-7, when the Metropolitan of Paros and Naxos was Neophytos Lachovaris. The Cathedral is devoted to Ayios Nikodemos the Athonite and Ayios Nektarios. Large amounts of products from ancient temples and other buildings were used in the building and construction. It is stated that the solid granite pillars were brought from the ruins of Delos. The Cathedral, the slaughterhouse and the Apollo Hotel bound the location occupied by the agora, the general public assembly place of the ancient city. The agora had four pillars with marble facades, organized in a rough square, with a mass of monoliths in front of them. In front of the Cathedral there is the Local Museum. This museum consists of a section of a Mycenean city, which was preserved in Metropolitan Square, and the remains of tombs dating to the early historic period. One of the most regularly painted and photographed monoliths at Hora is Ayia Kyriaki. Throughout the Turkish profession, the building was an abbey, where the monks taught the rudiments of reading, composing and music to Greek kids. In the courtyard of what was once the abbey there is a little old church, devoted to the Dormition of the Virgin, where, according to custom, Marco Sanudi attended his very first Orthodox service.
In the old town all roadways cause the sea, however they also lead us to evictions of the castle constructed by Marco Sanudo in 1207. We go into either by the south gate, the 'Paraporti,' or by the north gate, the 'Trani Porta,' or 'Strong Gate.' The Trani Porta and the Portara are certainly the two most familiar landmarks of Naxos.
As we go through the gates of the Kastro we enter what is actually another location and age, where harmony reigns; there are the narrow fragmented streets, the attractive courtyards with their flowers and the estates genuine palaces of the Venetian families, with their coat of arms over the door.
A vertical incision in the marble column of the Trani Porta, which prepares us to participate in this various world. This is the procedure of the Venetian lawn and it was here that the drapers utilized to measure the materials which they would bring for the ladies of the nobility.
To the right of the Trani Porta is the Domus Della Rocca Barozzi Venetian Museum. It was founded in 1999 and is housed in the estate of the Della Rocca Barozzi family. The history of the museum begins with the death of the Fourth Crusade through the island (1207 ), when Venetians initially settled on Naxos. Today's museum then housed the Consulate of Venice and was from time-to-time the home of different noble families, such as the Sforza Castri. Today's residents, who are descendants of the Della Rocca Barozzi household, decided to 'open' their house to the click to learn public and to share its history with them. Furnishings, designs, home products, etc. are displayed in the areas of the click here museum, whilst in specially adapted locations cultural occasions, such as exhibitions, concerts, and so on occur. (The Museum is open daily from 10:00 - 15:00 and 19:00 - 22:00.).
Of the 12 castles of the Kastro